Creating bulleted and numbered lists
You can create numbered (ordered) lists, bulleted (unordered) lists, and definition lists from existing text or from new text as you type in the Document window.
Definition lists do not use leading characters like bullet points or numbers and are often used in glossaries or descriptions. Lists can also be nested. Nested lists are lists that contain other lists. For example, you might want an ordered or bulleted list nested within another numbered or ordered list.
For information about setting a specific list type and other list options for an entire list or a specific list item (for example, reset numbering or use Roman numerals in an ordered list, or to set square bullets), see Setting List Properties dialog box options.
To create a new list:
- In the Dreamweaver document, place the insertion point where you want to add a list, then do one of the following:
- Click either the Bulleted or Numbered List button in the Property inspector
- Select Text > List and select the type of list desired--Unordered (bulleted) List, Ordered (numbered) List, or Definition List.
The leading character for the specified list item appears in the Document window.
- Type the list item text, then press Enter (Windows) or Return (Macintosh) to create another list item.
- To complete the list, press Enter twice (Windows) or press Return twice (Macintosh).
To create a list using existing text:
- Select a series of paragraphs to make into a list.
- Click the Bulleted or Numbered List button in the Property inspector, or select Text > List and select the type of list desired--Unordered List, Ordered List, or Definition List.
To create a nested list:
- Select the list items you want to nest.
- Click the Indent button in the Property inspector, or select Text > Indent.
Dreamweaver indents the text and creates a separate list with the original lists HTML attributes.
- Apply a new list type or style to the indented text by following the same procedure used above.