Testing dynamic content
Dreamweaver allows you to preview and edit dynamic content using the Live Data window.
Links dont work in the Live Data window. To test your links, use the Dreamweaver Preview in Browser feature. (See Checking for browser compatibility.)
While dynamic content is displayed, you can perform the following tasks:
- Adjust the pages layout using the Dreamweaver page-design tools
- Add, edit, or delete dynamic content
- Add, edit, or delete server behaviors
To achieve this effect, Dreamweaver runs the dynamic page on your server before displaying it in the Live Data window. Whenever you switch to the Live Data window, a temporary copy of the open document is sent to your application server for processing. The resulting page is returned and displayed in the Live Data window, and the temporary copy on the server is deleted.
You can toggle between the Document window and the Live Data window by selecting Live Data from the View menu. If a page expects data from the user--for example, the ID number of a record selected in a master page--you can provide the page with that data yourself in the Live Data Settings dialog box.
To enter live data parameters:
- Make the necessary changes to the page.
- If your page expects URL parameters from an HTML form using the GET method, enter the name/value pairs in the text box in the toolbar and click the Refresh button (the circle-arrow icon).
Enter the test data in the following format:
In this format, name is the URL parameters name expected by your page and value is the value held by that parameter.
You can also define name/value pairs in the Live Data Settings dialog box (View > Live Data Settings) and save them with the page.
- Click the Refresh button if your page needs refreshing.
- Editing dynamic content on a page
- Deleting dynamic content