Setting the Insert Record dialog box options (ASP.NET)
The purpose of this dialog box is to add a server behavior to a page containing an HTML form so that users can insert records in a database table when they click the Submit button on the form.
Before adding this server behavior, the page must contain an HTML form with a Submit button.
To set the dialog box options:
- Select a form from the Submit Values From pop-up menu.
- In the Connection pop-up menu, select a connection to the database.
Click the Define button if you need to define a connection.
- In the Insert Into Table pop-up menu, select the database table to insert the record in.
- Specify a database column to insert the record in, select the form object that will insert the record from the Value pop-up menu, and then select a data type for the form object from the Submit As pop-up menu.
The data type is the kind of data the column in your database table is expecting (text, numeric, Boolean checkbox values).
Repeat the procedure for each form object in your form.
- In the On Success, Go To text box, enter the location of a page to display after the server behavior runs successfully or click the Browse button to browse to the location.
- In the On Failure, Go To text box, enter the location of a page to display if the server behavior fails or click the Browse button to browse to the location.
- Select the Display Debugging Information on Failure checkbox if you want debugging information when the server behavior fails.
When you select this option, Dreamweaver ignores the On Failure, Go To option.
Use the debugging option during development and use the On Failure, Go To option when your site is live.
- Click OK.
Dreamweaver adds a server behavior to the page that lets users insert records in a database table by filling out the HTML form and clicking the Submit button.
- Building an insert page block by block