Setting the Log In User dialog box options
The purpose of this dialog box is to add a server behavior to a login page that makes sure the user name and password entered by a visitor are valid.
Before starting, you must add an HTML form to the login page letting users enter a user name and password. For instructions, see Letting users log in. With this prerequisite in place, you can complete the Log In User dialog text box as follows.
To set the dialog box options:
- Specify the form and the form objects visitors use to enter their user name and password.
- If you use ColdFusion, enter your username and password if applicable.
- Specify the database table and columns that contain the user names and passwords of all the registered users.
The server behavior compares the user name and password a visitor enters on the login page against the values in these columns.
- Specify a page to open if the login process succeeds.
The specified page is usually the sites start page.
- Specify a page to open if the login process fails.
The specified page usually alerts the user that the login process failed and lets the user try again.
- If you want users forwarded to the login page after attempting to access a restricted page to return to that restricted page after logging in, select the Go To Previous URL option.
If a user tries to access your site by opening a restricted page without first logging in, the restricted page can forward the user to the login page. After the user logs in successfully, the login page will redirect the user to the restricted page that forwarded them to the login page in the first place.
When you complete the dialog box for the Restrict Access to Page server behavior on these pages, make sure you specify your login page in the If Access Denied, Go To text box. For more information, see Setting the Restrict Access To Page dialog box options.
- Specify whether to grant access to the page based on user name and password alone, or based on authorization level too.
For more information, see Building a page only authorized users can access.
- Click OK.
When a user clicks the Submit button on the login page, the Log In User server behavior compares the values entered by the user against the values for registered users. If the values match, the server behavior opens one page (usually the sites start page). If the values do not match, the server behavior opens another page (usually a page alerting the user that the login process failed).
- Checking the user name and password
- Building a login page