Setting the Check New Username dialog box options
The purpose of this dialog box is to add a server behavior to a user registration page that verifies that the user name submitted by a visitor is unique before adding that visitor to your database of registered users.
Before starting, you must complete the following tasks:
- Add an HTML form to the registration page letting users choose a user name and password. For instructions, see Letting users choose a user name and password.
- Add an Insert Record server behavior to the page to update the database containing the login information about your registered users. For instructions, see Updating the table of users in the database.
With these prerequisites in place, you can complete the dialog box as follows.
To set the dialog box options:
- In the Username Field pop-up menu, select the form text field your visitors use to enter a user name.
- In the If Already Exists, Go To text box, specify a page to open if a matching user name is found in the database table.
The opened page should alert the user that the user name is already taken and let the user try again.
- Click OK.
When the user clicks the Submit button on the registration page, the server behavior compares the user name entered by the user against the user names stored in a database table of registered users. If no matching user name is found in the database table, the server behavior carries out the insert record operation normally. If a matching user name is found, the server behavior cancels the insert record operation and opens a new page (usually a page alerting the user that the user name is already taken).
- Making sure the chosen user name is unique
- Building a registration page