Viewing ColdFusion components in Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver provides a way to visually examine the ColdFusion components (CFCs) located in your site folder or on the server as a whole. Dreamweaver reads the .cfc files and displays information about them in an easy-to-navigate tree view in the Components panel.
Dreamweaver looks for the components on your testing server (see Specifying where dynamic pages can be processed). If you create new CFCs or make changes to existing CFCs, make sure to upload the CFC files to the testing server so they are accurately reflected in the Components panel.
If you want to view components located on another server, change the testing server settings.
You can view any of the following information about your CF components:
- List all of the ColdFusion components defined on the server.
- If youre running ColdFusion MX 7 or later, filter the list to show only the CFCs located in your site folder.
- Explore the functions and arguments of each component.
- Inspect the properties of functions that serve as web services.
To view the ColdFusion components in Dreamweaver:
- Open any ColdFusion page in Dreamweaver.
- In the Components panel (Window > Components), select CF Components from the pop-up menu.
- Click the Refresh button in the panel to retrieve the components.
Dreamweaver displays the component packages on the server. A component package is a folder that contains CFC files.
If existing component packages do not appear, click the Refresh button in the panel toolbar.
- To display only the CFCs located in your site folder, click the Show Only Current Sites CFCs button in the Components panel toolbar.
This feature is only available if youve defined a computer running ColdFusion MX 6 or later as a testing server for Dreamweaver. For more information, see Enabling the ColdFusion enhancements.
If the current site is listed in a virtual folder on the remote server, the filtering does not work.
- Click the Plus (+) button beside the package name to view the components stored in the package.
- To list the functions of a component, click the Plus (+) button beside the component name.
- To see the arguments a function takes, as well as the arguments type and whether they are required or optional, open the functions branch in the tree view.
Functions that take no arguments have no Plus (+) button beside them.
- To quickly view the details of an argument, a function, a component, or a package, select the item in the tree view, then click the Get Details button in the panel toolbar.
You can also right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Macintosh) the item and select Get Details from the pop-up menu.
Dreamweaver displays details about the item in a message box.
- About ColdFusion components
- Visually creating a component in Dreamweaver
- Editing ColdFusion components in Dreamweaver
- Building web pages that use ColdFusion components